I suppose if I'm going to gripe about whether or not people read this blog, then I ought to at least post something to read once in a while. So here's a recipe that's a family favorite--I mean everyone in my family likes it!
No, I take that back. Kaylie refuses to eat anything that's called "soup" (or anything like unto it). But I bet she'd like it if she'd actually taste it. :-)
CHEDDAR CHOWDER
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup sliced carrots
2 cups diced potatoes
water
chicken bouillon cubes
1/4 cup melted butter
1/3 cup flour
2-3 cups milk
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (sometimes I throw in a pinch of pepper-jack, just for kicks)
1 cup diced ham
Put onions, celery, carrots and potatoes into a big soup pot. Measure in enough water just to cover the veggies (probably 3-4 cups). Add one bouillon cube per cup of water you've put in. [Oh no! Did you forget to MEASURE the water? :) ] Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until carrots are tender.
In a small bowl, mix the melted butter and flour. Add to the soup and mix in thoroughly. Then add the milk and stir until smooth [well, actually it's kind of chunky because of the vegetables; oh well]. Add cheese and ham and stir until cheese is completely melted. Serve right away. Preferably with hot bread--in fact, this soup is just the right kind to put into bread bowls--Yum!
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
OH YES! Cheddah Chowdah is VERY yummy. This is one I request all the time! I do like it in bread bowls, although I feel a little guilty asking for the bread bowls because I'm afraid it might be a lot of extra work. For all ten of us, I mean. But it's delicious and fun!
Sounds yummy-This is a must try! I love soup, and so do Dean and Sara. I'll have to leave the ham out so Sara will eat it, sigh. But of course, Michael won't have anything to do with soup or anything like unto it, either. ;-)
Post a Comment