Hey! Leave me a comment if you visit. I love comments!


Friday, March 12, 2010

English Muffins

So Bruce has been bragging about me again. Now it's at his new job.

He has to go to work much earlier than I want to get up, so I decided to make him some breakfast things that can be frozen, so then he could grab something and re-heat it at work. This week I made chewy granola bars, and sausage and egg muffins (like they have at McDonald's). Since we didn't have English muffins handy and I didn't feel like going to the store, I made those too. And then, when his co-workers see what he's got, he starts bragging about how cool I am, and how I made the English muffins myself. Funny Bruce! :-)

So now I have a recipe request!

ENGLISH MUFFINS

You really could use any bread recipe for these. Just DO NOT PUNCH DOWN THE DOUGH; and then cook them on a skillet as per directions. :-)

1 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp. yeast
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. salt
5 1/2 to 6 cups flour
cornmeal

Dissolve the honey in the milk and water.
Add the yeast; let it proof.
Mix in the butter and salt.
Mix in enough flour to make a soft dough.
Knead remaining flour into the dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
Place dough in clean, greased bowl; cover and let rise about 1 hour.

Generously sprinkle 2 ungreased baking sheets with cornmeal. Do NOT grease the baking sheets!
DO NOT PUNCH DOWN DOUGH!


On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to about 1/2-inch thick.
Cut dough into circles. [I use a wide-mouth canning lid.]
Place dough circles on the prepared baking sheets.
Gather up remaining dough; re-roll; cut, and place on sheets.
Generously sprinkle tops of circles with cornmeal; lightly press the cornmeal into the tops of the cirlcles.
Cover with wax paper and let rise until doubled—about 30-45 minutes.

Preheat skillet or griddle to 325 degrees.
Sprinkle cornmeal over skillet.
Place the English muffins in the skillet. Cook for about 6-8 minutes on each side, or until evenly browned.
Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack.

Split English muffins with a fork. Toast them and slather them with butter. Mmmmmm, best way ever to eat English Muffins!

No comments: