Hey! Leave me a comment if you visit. I love comments!


Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Loralee's Banana Cream Goodness

While we were at Camp Steiner we were plagued with an abundance of bananas—about two to three cases of them every week. I'm not sure why commissary thought 50 people could, or would, eat 150 bananas a week, but it was driving me crazy.  And then they brought us so much milk one day that I didn't have room for it in my miniscule refrigerators.  I was very irritated.

In my cranky state, and having just had a scoutmaster give me a couple dozen real eggs, I came up with an idea, and here it is (whittled down to normal porportions, rather than the 50-person dessert I made at camp):

LORALEE'S BANANA CREAM GOODNESS

one small pie tin (about 8 inches)

CRUST:
Lorna Doone cookies (I have no idea how many you'll need—enough to crush and line a small pie tin)
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. melted butter

FILLING:
3/4 cup sugar
3-4 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. rum extract

sliced bananas (I have no idea how many—I'd guess two or three would do for one pie)

whipped cream

CRUST:
1.  Crush the Lorna Doone cookies and put them in the pie tin.
2.  Add the 2 Tbsp. sugar and 3 Tbsp. melted butter to the crushed cookies and mix them together.
3.  Press the cookie mixture onto the bottom of the pan and up the sides.
4.  Bake it at 350 for about 10 minutes.
5.  Remove from oven and let it cool.

FILLING:
1.  Mix the sugar and cornstarch together in a medium saucepan.
2.  Add the milk and egg yolks; whisk to blend.
3.  Cook over medium heat, whisking until thick and bubbly.  Cook another two minutes or so.
4.  Remove from heat and blend in the butter, vanilla, and rum extracts.
5.  Place plastic wrap (actually, I use a grocery bag) directly on top of the pudding and let cool to room temperature.
6.  Spread half of the pudding over the crust in the pie tin.
7.  Top with the bananas.
8.  Spread remaining pudding over the bananas.
9.  Place plastic directly on top of the pie and refrigerate until ready to serve—at least an hour.
10.  Top with whipped cream and eat it up!  Yum!

No comments: